Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Where They Are Wednesday: Rachael!



Hey all! It’s me, Rachael calling on you from the Sunshine State (Florida for the completely oblivious). Most of you know me because I just left Austin in July. I had the privilege to be a part of Austin Agape (though it wasn’t always known as that name). Now I am Young Adult Volunteer or a Mission Volunteer or a Dweller. I have many names and personalities ( I am a Gemini). Anyways, here is what I am up to in this part of the world.

I get to work with youth and children. There is also a ton of paperwork. Grants require a lot of information and paperwork to show that you are accomplishing and documenting everything you do. I also help out with the homeless program on Sunday Mornings. Eventually I will be setting up bank accounts for the homeless to help them save up. Many have jobs they just are trying to get enough to get their own place where they will be able to afford the rent. I will also be doing taxes for them and for people in the Overtown community. Which leads me to where I work.

The area where I work is not the safest place. I had to sign all of these things about safety. I am also required to carry around pepper spray. My first impression of Overtown (the area I work) was that of a lot of black men calling out to me and a fire dept ambulance pulling over to ask me if I knew where I was. They kept saying “are you sure?” At work I found out that white employees get asked that a lot by police and fire officials. Interesting twist on the classic pullover. A 17 year in Overtown was killed recently. The upsetting part was how the high schoolers acted as if it were totally normal. Two years ago a body was discovered in the vacant lot behind our building. Dumped in the high grass area to conceal it. This is America. Aren’t we told this doesn’t happen here? If so, only on TV.

I live near Little Havana. Everybody in my subdivision speaks Spanish. They all assume because of where I am living that I speak Spanish. In Miami, people actually talk to strangers on the bus. In Austin, I only had conversations with homeless people. Here I have had so many conversations. Most of them being the person talking in Spanish to me while I listen trying to hear the few words I know and speaking like one year old back at them in Spanish. People here are more event oriented like most of Latin America. I like my watch so that is a problem. Some churches here don’t have start or stopping times which is more than a little different.

I love y’all! I miss y’all! They make fun of me here when I say y’all. I wish y’all well on your spiritual journeys. Peace and conflict be with you. For out of conflict is learning and understanding.
Rachael

No comments: