Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Greetings from Amanda!

What did you do over the break? What are your hopes for 2009?

I'm back at work now, suffering from allergies that make me have to wear my glasses (I hate! wearing my glasses). But I had a wonderful two weeks off, spending time with my fiance's family and then with mine. I even got to celebrate Hanukkah with Ben's mom and dad and then Christmas with them too. It was kind of funny to light the Hanukkah candles in front of the Christmas tree.

I would say that I received my most meaningful present ever this year. Ben's dad made, with his incredibly talented woodworking skills, a beautiful spice cabinet out of California mahogany that he has been hauling around for twenty years. It even has a secret compartment for hiding important documents! I cried when I saw it. I could not believe that someone had taken that much time to make something so beautiful for me.

I also got a really fun present from my mom and stepdad. They got Ben and me a GPS unit so that we can find our way around in Maryland, where we're moving! I tried it out on the way to my grandparents' house - we were running early (it tells the estimated arrival time), so we told it to look up the post office, went there, and then got directions back to their house! And then it told us how to get to the mall and how to get back to my dad's house. We'd still be lost in Grapevine if we didn't have it.

I'm so glad to be back home, though. Two weeks is too long to be away from my other family, my wonderful friends. I got to watch Buffy with Kathleen and Renee yesterday and that brought such joy to my heart.

This year is going to bring a lot of uncertainty and big changes. I'm getting married in 46 days (holy cow...) and then moving immediately to Maryland. I don't know what I'm going to be doing there - I don't even have a place to live yet! I applied to the University of Maryland for grad school, but I'm going to have to wait on that result. I may have to find a job. The wonderful thing is that I don't feel much fear at all. What a way to test the promise that God will provide! He has always bridged my gaps in the past, and he will surely provide a way through this chasm. I do know that I will miss every single one of my friends here in Austin. That won't go away. But I'll see you soon! Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Love, Amanda

No comments: