Friday, October 24, 2008

A Meaningful Dialogue

Last Sunday, I had the pleasure of meeting and conversing with three Turkish Muslim women here in Austin. While over a plate of humus, raisin bread, grape leaf hor oeuvres, and Turkish Tea, these women kindly shared their faith in Islam to a curious Christian woman.

I have always been curious about other faiths and have questioned my own Christian upbringing. I have heard, second-hand, about what Islam is, but I have never had one-on-one conversations with a Muslim.

My goal was to listen without substituting my beliefs or assuming what I think they would say, but it was difficult because as they spoke of their faith, similar Christian teachings flooded my brain. I wanted to say, "Yes, yes, we believe that too." Or, if our beliefs differed, I wanted to offer my opinions and my knowledge. God just wanted me to listen, and if the opportunity arises again where I meet them again, I will make a stronger effort to just LISTEN.

Here is what the Suzan, Nazli, and their friend ( I cannot remember how to spell her name) shared with me:

The Quran is the Word of God, dictated by the angel Gabriel to the prophet Mohammad. "We believe," Suzan and Nazli said, "that there is no need for an interpreter between God and human. It is like there is a telephone wire from our hearts to God. Whenever you want to speak to God, you pick up the phone in your heart and share what you are thinking, what you are praying for, what you give thanks for."

I asked if all three women attend the same mosque. Nazli said, "We do, but we do not always go to the Mosque. We pray wherever we are at. We practice in our homes. We do not need a building. I pray in the garden, as I work, I pray whenever I want to talk to God. We pray five times a day; it is to remind us of our important relationship with God. I may be busy trying to get something done, and the hour comes when it is time to pray. I want to finish my task, but, no, this time is for God. He is more important."

As Nazli was describing her practice of prayer, I reflected how many times I remember to pray. If I am lucky, if I don't oversleep, if I get my breakfast out of the way and my lunch made, I pray. But most of time, my prayers are interrupted by my distracted thoughts and my superficial concerns. What do I need to accomplish today? What errands have to be run? ...Praying five times a day would be relief in a storm. Praying is something I must make time for.

I asked them about forgiveness. My Christian upbringing taught that Jesus died so the world may be forgiven--does Islam have similar tenants? Suzann answered, "Islam does not believe in original sin. We are born perfect as children. "But what about forgiveness with each other?," I said. "What do you do if you and your spouse have a disagreement or something bad is done to you or you have wronged someone else?" Nazi said, "Allah says that what we forgive, he will also forgive in us."

They shared many experiences with me--some of their dreams that had symbolic meaning, their feelings when they pray, their concerns about how Islam is perceived...all of this (their devotion to God and their love for God and God's relationship with them) felt real to me. It felt the same real like how my father and mother (strong and life long Catholic Christians) shared their experiences and dreams of Christ to me. My hostesses are just as devoted in their faith as my parents are. And it seems that God is equally involved with my parents as with my hostesses.

- Jess Andres

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful conversation and experience!