Monday, September 28, 2009

What Does Taize Worship Mean to You?

We have a service of Taize worship on the last Sunday of every month. It's a service of prayer and contemplative singing. Our first Taize worship was held last night.

What does Taize Worship mean to you?

Taize worship to me is a moment when time completely stops and where none of my worries matter at all. It's a time where I can be present with myself and the people who surround me, especially my friends :) It allows me to reflect on what has happened and what is to come. My most favorite part about Taize worship is being able to share my gift of playing the violin and the music that is able to touch every soul in the room. The joy and happiness I get from it is the reason why I attend the Taize worship every month and hope to do so as long as I can. Because it was this congregation that opened their arms to me and welcomed me into their lives. Allowing me to be with God, maybe not in the same manner but giving me the freedom to worship Him and pray to Him by practicing a little bit of my own religion. And in return to share with them a little bit about my religion. For that I am most grateful for and why I enjoy going to Taize.

- Seena, Young Adult

Time to think. Time to reflect. Time to let my mind wander. Time to sing. Time to harmonize. Time to let that haunting melody with the lowered second replay over and over.

- Ian, Graduate Student


The long moment of silence is especially meaningful to me each time we gather for Taize worship. In that moment, I always seem to remember anew what it means to be placed in the People of God, formed and familied together with others.

I am reminded of this truth in a way that feels immensely transcendent and holy. I give thanks for Taize worship.

- Renee Roederer, Campus Minister


To me Taize worship is finding the quiet center of my soul and resting there in the assurance of God's love. It is being together with others sharing meditative songs, scripture, bread and wine, silence. It is a time to quiet the noise of our busy lives and world and re-connect with "the still small voice" of God's presence. In short, Taize is good for my soul!

- San Williams, Senior Pastor


The first time I went to a Taize service, I was more than a little skeptical of the concept of singing the same thing over and over until it "sank in". Until I did it, that is. The humming really gets to me. Once you've gone over the verse several times, the music has gotten louder and softer and then everyone just feels a hush and then you hum the melody again. Something about that just makes my whole being feel a rush of togetherness with the people around me and with the one I'm worshiping.

By night we hasten in darkness, in search of living water. Only our thirst leads us onward.

I will admit that there are times when I don't feel anything from Taize. My mind gets in the way, my spirit isn't quiet. The repetitive singing is a little too repetitive, and the silent reflection goes on a little too long.

But when I go into the sanctuary with a quiet heart (and you will know when your soul is still, it's not just a cliche!) I feel the presence of God in that place. It may sound grim, but I feel the weight of his presence and of my sins. I have cried during Taize, I have felt the holiness that we worship. And it's wonderful.

- Amanda Koss May, Former Student



Taize is meaningful to me because it allows me to listen to God, isolated from all external worries and distractions. When we have a Taize service, even though we all listen to the same music and hear the same readings, I know the experience is different for every person in the sanctuary. Playing the flute is how I connect with and listen to God; sometimes it is easier to express my thoughts and prayers through music instead of words. Taize brings me closer to God, closer to UPC, and closer to the people with whom I share these blessings.


-Lauron Fischer, Junior


Taize worship is a time of leaving behind whatever cares and concerns I might have at the moment. The music helps me enter into the heart of God and just rest there.
- Judy Skaggs, Associate Pastor

No comments: