Friday, June 5, 2009

Deacons Plan and Dream For Campus Ministry!

On Saturday, the Deacons of our congregation met for their annual Deacon's Retreat. During their time together, they answered a question about Austin Agape:







What are your hopes for Campus Ministry at UPC?

"My hopes are that the Campus Ministry grow beyond expectations. I also hope you can reach out to the new students, especially, in the new condos. I wish you the best."

-Debbie Russ, Deacon


"I'd like to see an organized effort to acquaint the college students with the mission opportunities at UPC, especially Micah 6 since it supports the immediate UT/UPC area and its less fortunate citizens."

-David Wofford, Deacon


I would like "to continue to provide a platform for development of faith and community among college students and young adults."

-Karen Grice, Deacon

"I would love to see record numbers in our Campus Ministry group. Reaching young people at this point in their lives is so critical. We should do whatever we need to do and plan whatever activities we need to plan to get these young people involved in the church, let them know that we love and support them, and that God is always there for them."

-Katherine Ray, Deacon

I would like "to continue to provide an open, welcome area for students. I would love to see them more active in church if possible. I know their schedules are already full and overflowing."

-Diane Roth, Deacon

I would love "more interaction between students and the congregation, e.g. names, interests, needs, hopes etc. and more reporting to the congregation."

-Barbara Evans, Deacon

"I have enjoyed your blog. Please keep up the good work serving others and inviting University of Texas students to know UPC."

-Martha Bauer, Deacon

"Are there opportunities to get to know 'campus' students beyond 'adoption?'"

-Heidi Spock, Deacon

"I really enjoyed the college choir while I was in grad school - if there's interest, it would be very cool to restart the (dinner+practice) night we used to have."

-David Chao, Deacon

"My hope for the campus ministry is that it will bring Christ into more and more college age lives - that college age adults will find Christ as the source for all their needs - emotional, spiritual, physical, and mental. And that they will grow in their calling."

-Mary Beth McWilliams, Deacon

I would love "to grow in numbers!" Also, I would love "to strengthen our Adopt-a-Student program and have a fall get-together picnic and have Food For Thought Students cook a meal together."

-Jody Kelly, Deacon

I would like to provide "a support system for away-from-home young adults, the connection for students with church/God/Jesus while away from home, a warm, welcoming inter-generational environment, and activities and a place to be active participants (mission work/worship)."

-G.G. Saravia, Deacon

"In America today, we are often confronted with examples of a very narrow concept of Christianity, one that carries a negative connotation for many people, especially young adults. I would hope that our campus ministry would provide an example of a vibrant, joyous, and most important, a living Christianity. We should provide Christian service and fellowship, and above all, we should bring people to Christ and knowledge of him and his love to people."

-Tommy McReynolds, Deacon

No comments: