Thursday, August 5, 2010

Renee Says Thanks to UPC!


To the UPC Congregation,

As many of you know, Sunday, August 8th will be my last day on staff at University Presbyterian Church, and Ian and I will be moving to Pasadena, California three days later. I am experiencing a whirlwind of emotions these days, as you might imagine. Ian and I have hope and excitement as we enter new realms of possibilities, and we have heavy hearts as we leave UPC and Austin. I want to thank you deeply for the love and community we have experienced here. You can be certain that those gifts of love and community are not ending; instead, they are nourishing us into new experiences. We cannot foresee all the gifts that California will bring, but you can be assured that the relationships we experience there will be deeply connected to who you are. We have been formed here, and our identities have been shaped by you. We will enter new relationships as the people we have been formed to be. Thank you.

Ian will soon begin a research position in astronomy at the Carnegie Observatories in Pasadena. We are sure to experience a lot of laughter, knowledge, and friendship among the other astronomers there. I am seeking a call in the greater Los Angeles area, and I would appreciate your prayers in my search. I have been searching for seven months, and partly because of the current economic climate, there have not been many opportunities. I am very hopeful, however, and I plan to make myself of use in many different ways. I do expect to find joy, friendship, and meaningful opportunities for service.

In our time together, we have made many memories. I appreciate the ways you support our pastors and staff, and I am grateful for the love and availability you have shown our students. Thank you for giving them a space to be loved and providing a home away from home. Thank you for allowing our students to challenge the status quo. Thank you for imparting wisdom to them and showing them the beauty of tradition. You have been mentors, parents, and friends to them. Thank you.

As we leave here, I am grateful that Kaci Porter will be stepping into the role of Campus Minister for UPC. I am very thankful for her leadership, and I have confidence that this ministry is being left in wonderful hands. She is smart, thoughtful, funny, considerate, talented, and most of all, ready and gifted to make meaningful, loving relationships with you. You will receive much from her leadership. She will join us on August 1st.

Again, thank you for you who are and who you are always becoming. You will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers in the upcoming months.

With much love,

Renee

No comments: