Monday, March 30, 2009

"In This Moment, Heal."

There is something very special about the word 'heal.' It is both passive and active at the same time.

Heal. Be Healed.

Heal. Be a Healer.


Every day, I find myself thinking about the agency of this word. I don't mean that I sit around, parsing out its grammatical forms into passive and active subcategories. I simply mean that I have entered a period of time in which I am intentionally conscious about being a healed person and living as a healer.

It has worked its way into my spiritual practice of meditation.

In this moment, heal. . .

In this moment, heal. . .

In this moment, heal. . .

It has become my mantra.

I am a wordy person. Some have suggested to me that my mind and body need non-verbal, non-cognitive ways to heal and grow. So I meditate. I breathe that mantra, and I find myself praying through images. I find myself interceding through relationships.

I visualize the day that has passed. I think about what I have received. I breathe through these receiving moments, and I meditate from gratitude.

In this moment, heal. . .

In this moment, heal. . .

Receive what was good from this particular moment you experienced.

That visualization turns into a prayer. What would it be like if I hadn't experienced moments like these?

What if I didn't have a bed? Who doesn't have a bed?

What if I didn't have a person to wake up next to? Who is lonely?

What if I didn't have food for breakfast? Who wakes up to empty cupboards?

In this moment, heal. . .

In this moment, heal. . .

Live as a healer, Renée. Live fully as a Being-Healed Healer.

My questions aren't words for me in the meditation. They are images. Some are past images. Some are imaginative, future images.

This meditation sends me into my day, reminding myself again and again:

In this moment, heal. . .

In this moment, heal. . .

I begin to look for healing to find me and call me in every moment.

Who knew that healing could be so lived and breathed?

No comments: