Saturday, November 8, 2008

Minute for Stewardship

On Sunday morning, Lauron addresses our congregation about how much Austin Agape means to her. Here is what she has to say:

Being a part of Austin Agape at University Presbyterian Church has changed my life. I give thanks with a grateful heart for every moment I spend with the community I have found here. When I started coming to UPC, the number of children, high school and college students, and young adults that were here just blew my mind. At First Presbyterian Church in Beeville, Texas, I was usually the only one my age. There was no youth group, no mission trips, no ministry at all for me to be involved in. The children, youth, and young adults of UPC are truly blessed to have so many opportunities for ministry and mission here. It is unfortunate that FPC in Beeville cannot offer all that UPC does, but now I am truly grateful for the many ways I can be involved here, through Austin Agape.

Like I said, rarely were there other kids my age in my home church. I never had “church friends.” Now, MOST of my friends are “church friends,” and I can’t imagine my life without them. We are constantly growing closer; at campus dinner and in evening worship, at bible study, on our retreats, and especially on our ski trips each spring. Twenty hours in a van really brings a group together. After the ski trip was over, I knew there was no turning back. Not because I wanted to keep going on ski trips, but because I felt so deeply and personally invested in Austin Agape.

As college students, it is difficult for us to give back to the church financially. Our offering to UPC and Austin Agape is often intangible. We give our time. We give our talents. We give our presence. We give our personalities. We give our conversation. We give our relationships. We are stewards of each other.

As you continue to think about stewardship and how you will give back to UPC, consider Austin Agape. Consider sharing with us your presence, your personality, your conversation. Share a meal with us on Sunday night. Worship with us. If you work on the UT campus, join us for lunch at the student union one Wednesday. Be a part of the Adopt-A-Student program, and adopt us. You will enrich us, and you will be enriched as I have been.

- Lauron Fischer, Sophomore

No comments: